Sunday, January 16, 2011

LandSea Meals

The summer before my freshman year I participated in the LandSea program here at Kalamazoo, a sixteen day hiking trip through Killarney Provincial Park in Ontario Canada.  I thought I'd share a couple of pictures from my experience with you all!

Despite only being able to eat what we could carry, I ate surprisingly well on my trip.


We called this dish "chipmunk stew." 
One night we decided we were going to make the best meal we could using almost everything we had with us.  I don't remember the exact amounts as it was all based on taste tests, but here is a list of ingredients.  
Potatoes (2 or 3)
Carrots (2)
Beef Powder
Tomato Soup Powder Mix (whole thing)
Onion Spice
Macaroni Noodles
(There may have been other spices added, but I didn't write them down).
It got its name because this particular camp site was heavily infested with chipmunks and they kept trying to steal our food.  


I made this one!  Peanut butter and curry rice.
If I find the recipe for this I'll post it too, but pretty much it's curry powder, rice, and peanut butter.





2 comments:

  1. Ugh. This brings back some pretty stomach-churning memories. One of our patrol's worst meals ever was on Day One. One of our more proud, standoffish members insisted that he cook the first meal and that we should cook ALL the potatoes because they were one of the more heavy items we had on hand.
    First, he tried to boil the potatoes. But he boiled the water first. Not the worst thing in the world, but he wasted a lot of valuable gas we needed for the burner. And then he thought the potatoes were done after about two minutes of cooking. Upon further investigation he realized they were in fact still raw, and decided to fry them in the sausage grease that we had from when we had cooked the sausage log earlier. Which was a problem because over half of the individuals in our patrol were vegetarians.

    So in the end, we ate raw, sausage flavored potatoes with hunks of cheese. At least every meal from then on got better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the cook of the meal I remember most in my patrol. Not because it was particularly good but because I unknowingly used the "more is more" rule and it was delicious but honestly, a little too much. I boiled potatoes in the hopes of making a satisfying meal of cheesy starch. I decided a whole pound of cheese was be sufficient. But it surpassed sufficiency and tumbled into starchy cheesy gluttony. The meal went over relatively well overall but never again will I use a pound of cheese for 7 potatoes! I think the idea was to get rid of the cheese because it was heavy and we were almost done with our trip but at the end of the night our stomachs felt heavy enough that it didn't matter.

    ReplyDelete