Sunday, January 23, 2011

Food in the Forest

             I couldn’t sleep.  It was somewhere around 6:30 in the morning as I watched the sun rise from the aisle seat of a bus taking me and 80 other college freshmen to Killarney Provincial Park in Ontario Canada.  We had driven through the night, beginning our journey on the campus of Kalamazoo College, a twelve-hour drive from our destination, and I hadn’t nodded off for even one of them.  We were all signed on for LandSea, a 16-day hiking trip set up as an optional pre-freshman orientation program. 
A few hours later, the two busses pulled into our main camp.  We exited the bus and were divided into our patrols, the group of people we would be living with for the next two weeks.  I was put into patrol C-5 along with Ian, Katrina, Craig, Emilie, Evan, and Faith.  With our two leaders, Jessica and Joanne, there were nine of us total, which made us the smallest group that year.
             I did not sleep well that first night, lying on the hard ground, scrunched between Craig and Ian.  We woke up at five in the morning to rain and I regretted to find the bottom of my sleeping bag was sopping wet.  The day before we had divided up our food for the first five days of hiking, leaving the rest behind at the main camp for when we returned for the canoeing part of our trip.  The rain stopped that morning just long enough for us to spread out our rations and decide who would carry which items.  We had three blocks of cheese, two large and three small sausages, two large bags of dry oatmeal, three jars of peanut butter (two creamy and one crunchy), one small bag of lentils, one bag of assorted spices, two packages of tuna, five carrots, seven potatoes, several apples, one large bag of brown sugar, one bag of chocolate chips, one bag of powdered milk, two bottles of Parkay (a liquid butter substitute), one bag of macaroni noodles, three packages of powdered soup, two packages of tortillas, one bag of beans, one package of bisquick, and our own personal bags of gorp, a mixture of cheerios, peanuts, chocolate chips, dried papaya, prunes, and pretzel sticks.  Added to the group gear of two tarps, two first aid kits, two bottles of fuel, one stove set, two bear bags, two ropes, and all of our own personal gear, it added up to about forty pounds per person.  Sleep deprived, cold, and exhausted after just five minutes of placing my heavy pack on my shoulders, I began Day One and contemplated whether I had made a mistake in signing up. 
            It rained on and off all day.  By the time we reached our campsite after hours of walking my feet were screaming and my shoulders were about ready to give out. Setting up camp was a long and tedious process and when we were done all I wanted to do was crawl into my sleeping bag and never wake up.  The point of LandSea is to help make its participants more self-reliant.  Our leaders are there for guidance, but from making food to figuring out our route, it was supposed to be up to us.  Huddled together under a drooping tarp it began to rain again.  We were all hungry, but the thought of leaving the comfort and warmth of our sleeping bags didn’t seem worth the effort involved in feeding ourselves.
Joanne mercifully made dinner for us that night.  It was a bland and flavorless vegetable soup, but I gratefully took it, as it was warm and bore some resemblance to food.  Ian was less accepting, and produced his own personal bottle of extra hot Tabasco hot sauce.  He must have emptied half the bottle into his small helping of broth and it soon became apparent that his dinner was inedible.  Jessica feared he was suffering from hypothermia when she heard him complain about his lips being numb, but it was just the hot sauce.  He ate about half a bowl before he started passing it around to others, who used portions of his dinner to spice up their own.   I took a small helping.  My soup went from tasteless broth to a painful attack on my mouth, and mine was a filtered version of the original.  It took me a few moments to recover from the initial shock of that first spoonful, and I seriously contemplated whether or not Ian’s lips would ever regain feeling.
            Everything became easier after Day One.  The sun came out, our clothes dried, our spirits lifted.  I got used to the weight of my pack and I began to bond with my patrol-mates.  And never again did I suffer a tasteless meal.  Evan and Ian turned out to be talented cooks.  They knew how to add spices to bring out the flavors in each meal.  Katrina and Faith managed to make a half decent apple strudel for us twice.  One morning our leaders even surprised us and made us pancakes for breakfast.  Even our simple lunch of cheese and sausage was phenomenal after hours of hiking or canoeing.  I loved the spicy meat and the creamy cheese and embraced the two flavors that elegantly mixed together so well when I popped them both in my mouth at once.  I never got sick of it.   
But the most loved and prized snack was peanut butter.  Sweet and smooth and absolutely delicious, it was exactly what I needed to fill the sugar void that plagued me throughout the entire trip.  I longed for candy bars, ice cream, just one wholesome Oreo, I was desperate for the sweet kiss of sugar on my tongue.  We horded our peanut butter, conserved it, we made sure we never took too much, careful to leave enough for each day of our trip.  We ate it straight out of the jar; my spork leaving grated trails behind in its delectable, delicate surface.  Slathered on papaya, it neutralized the less than desirable flavor of the dried fruit, leaving only the taste of pure joy in my mouth.  One day Faith suggested I add chocolate chips from my gorp bag into my spoonful of peanut butter and it became godly.

            From day one my patrol-mates and I had taken turns carrying around our group science experiment.  We had been told that at one point later in the trip, we would be testing the levels of something-or-another in the water using some device packaged neatly in duct tape.
            On our last day together, our leaders gathered us around the waters edge.  Jessica handed Ian the package and told him to open it fast, that the device was “light sensitive” and needed to go in the water immediately or the results would be botched.  Everyone waited in anticipation, Ian feeling the pressure as he slit his knife across the tape and pulled it apart.  Before we could see what the device looked like, he looked up at us confused and asked, “Starbursts?” 
            Everyone simultaneously leaned in, and then jumped back in surprise.  Jessica and Joanna began laughing hysterically, Evan’s booming voice echoed across the lake, and Faith ran away and I’m pretty sure started crying.  Our “science experiment” was a package of Starbursts, a Crunch Bar, a Butterfinger, and a Snickers.  The thing I had missed most, the one food item I had been craving: candy.  Delicious sugary chocolate, and I had been carrying it with me the entire time.
            Every bar was cut into even sized portions.  Those doing the cutting passed each precious piece of chocolate to the rest of the patrol before taking their own.  There were twelve Starbursts in the package.  We each got a whole one, and then cut the last three pieces into thirds.  No one thought this was ridiculous.  We each took our thin sliver of gummy chewy candy with gratitude, and enjoyed every delicious second.
We were given this treat because the next morning marked the start of solo, a two-day ordeal in which we were left alone in the woods with no food or human companionship.  My stomach was already growling by the time my leaders pulled away in their canoe, leaving me to my lonely little plot of land where I would spend two days and nights in solitude. 
When the sun set, I was surprised by my sense of calm.  I was sure the darkness and strange little noises the woods like to make at night would be sending shivers up my spine the entire night.  But I was perfectly comfortable by myself, sleeping under the stars on what I considered to be a very comfortable rock.  All day I had been thinking about what I was going to eat when solo ended.  I made a list of the candy I’d buy at the first pit stop we made on our way back to Michigan.  I dreamed about a McDonalds cheeseburger with a chocolate milk shake.  When I woke up the next morning though, I didn’t even notice I was hungry anymore.  My stomach stopped growling, like it was tired of trying.  I had never gone that long without food, but I was surprisingly content. 
After another day and night alone, I woke up to the sound of paddles hitting water as my leaders came to pick me up.  I smiled at Faith and crawled into the canoe, happy to be reunited.  And then, from behind her back, Jessica pulled forth the most beautiful, perfect looking green apple I had ever seen in my life.  I cradled the fruit in my hands for a moment, taking in its elegance.  Just as I was about to take a glorious bite, Jessica asked if I wouldn’t mind paddling in the front of the canoe while we picked up the rest of my patrol.  Around the lake we went, gathering my patrol-mates who gratefully devoured their apples while mine remained sitting in my lap, its smooth inviting surface taunting me while I desperately paddled as fast as I could towards shore. 
And then my moment finally came. An apple has never tasted so good since.  Back home, where I am surrounded by all the food I could want, I often forget about that moment when I made contact with the apple’s smooth skin, its crisp crunch, its sour juice.  I sometimes forget there was a time when an apple could be something extraordinary.  I devoured all of it, even ate the cyanide infused seeds.  The stem was all that remained.      


Hiking on the first day.  We covered our packs with trash bags to keep them dry.  
Our first night in the rain.  Dinner tasted like hot sauce and sadness.  
Faith and Katrina make dinner.
Ian prepares our usual lunch of cheese, sausage and peanut butter.  


14 comments:

  1. Katie,

    I think you did a great job of summarizing the 16 day long trip! You have a great start. I enjoyed your adjectives and the moments where you really went into how the food made you feel. The recollection of the apple after solo was spot on! I thought you could maybe transition a little bit more into the 'science experiment' scene. You know, build up to it for a while longer. I definitely remember my patrol leaders making all the portions the same when we had our chocolate day! Definitely not ridiculous : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this, brought back so many memories of my own patrol! The hot sauce part was hilarious. I loved your use of adjectives, and how you tied everything that happened together in the last paragraph about noticing the extraordinary qualities all foods have, no matter how simple. But I have to admit -- I quickly formed a strong hatred during LandSea for the warm cheese and sausage routine. No suggestions yet, it's a great draft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially loved the Starburst part and the part where you describe your first contact with food after the solo. I could feel your pain when you had to wait even longer to eat the apple! It's such a great story of delayed gratification--and how much better things taste after a time of deprivation. I love your ending paragraph!

    The sentence in which you showed the food inventory for the trip--"We had three blocks of cheese, two large and three small sausages..."--is SUPER long. It was cool that you showed exactly what you had to live on, but is there a way to condense it a little?

    You do a really great job of weaving together personal feelings at the time, overarching narration, group dynamics/personality of your group members, and descriptions of food and your surroundings. I think Elaine is right--you should introduce the "scientific experiment" earlier on. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing, truly nothing, helps one appreciate the convince of the food we normally eat like going on a long camping/hiking trip like Landsea. You offer a wonderful, vivid description of the trip itself, and a well balanced focus on the food you ate along the way. I found myself joining in your appreciation for each bite of precious peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As somebody who didn't get to go on LandSea, I still thought this piece was enjoyable and understandable--there weren't any parts that I couldn't grasp... and you did a really good job of describing limitation/deprivation. I almost wanted more about your experience on solo or the deprivation you felt then--especially next to the rest of the trip.

    I really enjoyed where you listed all of the foods you were carrying around and wondered if it might be more effective if it were incorporated as a list, maybe?

    As a first draft this is really great, Katie, and I liked the progression of it a lot. You did an awesome job with timing and placement... I think it did what you wanted it to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie,
    This piece is superb. Your use of imagery from beginning to end are spot on. I think you did a great job of explaining to your readers (especially those who did not go on LandSea) just how precious each morsel of food was and how, at times, food became a source of anxiety, and almost an obsession.
    One of my favorite scenes that you portrayed was Ian's hot sauce soup. Incidentally, today at dinner Ian told that exact same story, so it was interesting and equally hilarious to hear it from your perspective.
    My only suggestion to you at this point is to re-read your piece for grammatical errors. I noticed a few, but other than that, this piece was great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie, this is a wonderful piece. I will admit I was at first daunted by the length, but before I knew it, it was over! Other than the paragraph that listed your supplies (I agree with the others, it is informative but drags on a bit), your story flows beautifully from place to place. I did not personally participate in Landsea, but I think your story portrays the experience very well.

    Details such as, "We ate it straight out of the jar; my spork leaving grated trails behind in its delectable, delicate surface" added so much to the story and were images I could easily conjure in my mind.

    I agree with the other readers in thinking that the 'science experiment' could be woven in a little sooner, but I do not have many other suggestions. You are a great writer, Katie, and your piece was truly a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summarizing an experience as intense like that in a thousand odd words is crafty, doing it with a first sentence as resonant as the one you used is pure class. The descriptions and imagery are spot on and I think you managed to get this "appreciating what you normally have" theme is explored quite in-depth.

    I do think some more tension would spice up the story and make it an even stronger narration, something of a play with the fear of the unknown (which you probably experienced).

    The pictures are a good touch for establishing credibility (and a must in web writing), but they would be more relevant if they were placed between paragraphs instead of all being at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! An enjoyable read throughout. It begins and ends strong. The imagery and description are great and kept me interested through the whole story. The pictures are great too.
    Perhaps open with a stronger description. Maybe begin with a vivid image of the sun rising or of your bleariness. That will really draw a reader in.
    I loved that long list of things you brought with you. I did lose interest half-way through though. I'm not sure how to keep that feeling of weight and burden while keeping the list manageable and interesting. Bullet points? Different sections? I don't know.
    I can see a lot more description of your solo being really great. Not to over extend the length limit, but more about what you did for two days by yourself could be a really great contrast to cooking and traveling with eight other people for the rest of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys got Cheerios, pretzel sticks AND candy!?!? We got scammed.

    As someone who has frequently reflected on the turmoils of LandSea, I think you did an excellent job of describing the epic-ness of the adventure. I never realized how much relationship there was between food and place in Killarney, that we actually had the food with us at all times. You really incorporated those two concepts together nicely.

    I particularly enjoyed when you describe yourself as a consumer of the peanut butter and Ian with his hot-sauce. As a reader I could get a glimpse of who each of you are through your different habits and tastes. I would try to incorporate some more of this into your piece, if its applicable. Who liked what and what does that say about them as an individual?

    The other area I would maybe alter a bit is when you begin to describe the Solo experience. From reading it I don't think it was fully explained that we had NO food for two days. I think that concept is so foreign that it would really bring some more excitement to your piece (even though it is already very exciting.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You add so much detail that makes your piece really intimate and special. I love that it's bringing back everyone's memories of LandSea, I know it does for me! How can you not remember the food? It was definitely a memorable experience in itself. And I agree with Hannah's comment: you are so good at bringing out this relationship between food and place. I felt this piece was really personal because of the descriptions you give us of the specific foods and the specific people. I like when you mention that Joanne mercifully made dinner for you one night. I think that captures a lot in its simplicity. I can just picture the pain! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katie,

    WOW. Do I need to say anything else?

    Really really really great writing. I did not experience land sea myself, and I hate to say that I would not have made it. But congratulations!! Not having this experience for myself made your piece that much more enticing for me though. Your descriptions put me in the moments that I did not have. This was a strange experience, but a great one. I have heard stories, but never the nitty gritty details that you included.

    No one that I have talked to has ever gone into depth about the lack of food, or the taste of food, really anything to do with food concerning their trip.

    I can’t think of much to add other than the standard, “re-read, fix little errors” speech I’ve felt inclined to give everyone else.

    All in all, great work and thanks for sharing your experience with such a newb!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure I can say anything that hasn't been said already. Should I just copy and paste Gabriella's comment here? I, too, was intimidated by the length, but found it to be an easy and incredibly enjoyable read.
    Unfortunately I'm not sure I have much advice for revision. The first couple paragraphs seem sort of impersonal, maybe you could include why YOU chose to go on LandSea, if you were more excited or nervous, etc. Also, you mentioned once about your growing bonds with your fellow campers: is there a specific example/story you could tell us to make this statement really come alive? I would enjoy that.
    As a student who didn't go on LandSea, I really do love hearing about the experience. Fantastic work, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://www.facebook.com/bridgett.colling?ref=ts#!/photo.php?fbid=167433128221&set=t.1263000016

    ReplyDelete